Monday, April 27, 2015

Day 7: Alice Springs to Aileron


140 km day today- will be the furtherest some of them have ever ridden in one day. The wind forecast is for S/SE and the road is going in a NW direction- perfect.

Going around to the cabins finds just Lew up and about at 6.45 am. Everyone else was up pretty quickly after this though and all on the road by 8 am. Collis and I had a mucky morning, firstly packing up our cabin, then collecting luggage from the boys cabin and then sorting everything into the cars. We then had to grab some ice, sort the eskis, fill up both cars with deisel and then get on the road. Needless to say that the whole group were waiting for us at the Tropic of Capricorn for morning tea. The wind had definately been in their favour this morning.

Lunch was at the 85 km mark on the side of the road and we got quite a bit of horn tooting from the local aborigines as they drove past. Today we had a bit of a climb out of Alice Springs and we passed the highest point marker at 25 kms. Some riders were sure they were still climbing after this mark but it was only a delusion. According to Mark's garmin they climbed a total of 278 metres, down 157 metres, so we are 121 metres higher than we were last night. So it was a bit up and down.

40 kms out I noticed my first termite mound and they started to multiply as the day went on. A few wedge tail eagles around today and one even sat feeding on the side of the road- not afraid of the cars whizzing past. Just out of Alice was the beginning of the "No speed limit" and it will be interesting to see the distance this goes up the Stuart Hwy. Just as we passed the sign, the car sitting patiently behind me, took off at 100 miles/hour.

I gave Collis, Mark and Gareth haircuts tonight but couldn't con any of the girls into one. I got my haircut in Alice and when I said short, she took me literally. So I had to make sure I didn't have the shortest hair of the group. Mine looks a bit like a mohawk at the moment but hopefully will improve before we hit civilisation.

No comments:

Post a Comment