Saturday, June 13, 2015

Day 4: Pardoo to South Hedland


I raced to catch the riders up this morning whilst Collis remained behind trying to contact a windscreen company in Port Hedland. My little chip in my windscreen that happened two days ago has turned into quite a large crack overnight. Bugger, it had to be the Citroen and it has a really weird windscreen.

I caught Jill and Juergen at the 53 km mark and Gareth arrived just as they were finishing. Still no sign of Collis. Gareth seemed to be getting further behind the other two and by lunchtime he arrived nearly half an hour after they had finished their lunch break. It turns out he had a puncture. Collis has turned up but he has to take the car into Port Hedland to see if they can fix it today.

We had another refreshment stop 30 kms after lunch. I started getting worried about Gareth as he was now more than an hour behind the other two. I went out to find him and he was still 8 kms back- he had another slow leak and ended up changing another tube. He now has no spare tubes with him today and I don’t have any in my car.

By the time I arrived at the caravan park, Collis had just arrived but the other two riders had been there for quite awhile. Apparently they can’t fix the windscreen as the crack is too long. I had told Gareth that if he wasn’t in by 3.30 pm then we would come looking for him with another tube. When I left him it was 2 pm and he had 20 kms to go.

Annie took Jill and Juergen food shopping and Collis and I tried ringing Gareth but had to leave a message. It was just after 3.30 pm when we went out again as he still had not arrived. We just got to the highway when he calls to say he was in camp. He had got lost on the way in.


Off to do the food shopping then as I have 4 bush camps ahead of me before we get to another supermarket. The caravan park has deteriorated since our last visit but it was OK. Lots of mining workers staying here and some disturbance with traffic from those on shift work.

No comments:

Post a Comment