Monday, May 4, 2015

Day 19: Katherine to Pine Creek

Nice drive out to the highway past mango farms and vegetable farms (not quite expected around Katherine). Spotted the turnoff to Edith Falls and was tempted to take it but we would then be late for morning tea. Got to morning tea at the 45 km mark to find Jerry in a tizz over his cold foods left behind in the fridge at camp. He thought I would have grabbed them but no I won't touch anyone's food unless asked or it is clearly labelled. Anyway Collis rang the camp to see if anyone was traveling this way and be able to grab his food and bring it up to him. No luck but while he's on the phone we both realize we had forgotten the frozen food for the bush camp hidden in the ice cream fridge in the managers office. So, lucky Jerry, back I went to get his food and the bush camp food. 90 km round trip for a bit of food.

I arrived back in time to meet them for lunch but jerry had gone onto the pub. I didn't think he had been told about his food so I chased him down to the pub to give him the good news only to find out he had been told already. I requested a cold beer for my effort. He also knew about the camp food and  presumed I was the one to be at fault- typical male.

We stayed at Pussy Cat flat caravan park and racecourse. It hasn't been used as a racecourse since 2010 and has a number of very large termite mounds along the straight. Community run park and quite pleasant with adequate amenities and good food at reasonable prices and a bar. Mosquitoes were a problem and drove most of us to bed early. Kirsten and Gareth stayed up later.

I woke around 3 am to the sound of very loud chewing. It wasn't Collis and it definitely wasn't someone heading off to the toilet having a late night or early morning snack. I then heard horses hooves and by this time Collis was awake so I looked outside but couldn't see any horses. I then heard a quiet neigh but still no sight of any horse so we assumed it must have been the ghost of Pussy Cat Flat. There was a full moon so no trouble seeing everything else. Anyway Mark confirmed that there were horses near us during the night and he actually saw them.

No comments:

Post a Comment